If you’re someone who is looking to make breakfast smoothies for weight loss a part of your 2019 goals or add extra servings of fruits and veggies to your diet or need a balanced smoothie for post-workout recovery, or just want a yummy, filling way to nourish your body, this banana oatmeal smoothie recipe is one you’ll want to sip over and over again.
If you’re amateur to the smoothie game, it’s also a delicious, great place to start. With its sweet banana base, warm oats and cinnamon, and the decadent taste of peanut butter, this smoothie tastes like an oatmeal cookie.
About This Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe
The ingredients you will need to make this quick and healthy breakfast smoothie are:
- Oatmeal. A seriously underrated smoothie ingredient! Oatmeal is rich in fiber, and it makes smoothies satisfyingly thick and ultra-filling. This Oatmeal Smoothie will keep you full all morning, and the oatmeal is a big part of that. I most often use rolled oats, but quick oats work too.
- Frozen Banana. The next time you have spotty bananas on your counter, peel and cut them into pieces, then freeze them in a zip lock bag. They make any smoothie thick, naturally sweet, and creamy. If you don’t have any frozen bananas, you can use fresh banana. Your smoothie will be liquidier, so pop in a few ice cubes at the end to thicken it up.
- Peanut Butter. The healthy fat and protein in peanut butter are a big part of what makes this Oatmeal Smoothie so filling. It’s just the touch of richness the smoothie recipe needs to taste satisfying and not like something you’re stuck eating.
Any kind of creamy peanut butter will work here, so feel free to use your favorite. You can use crunchy peanut butter also, though I prefer the smoothness of creamy.
- Honey. I love the flavor of Honey and oatmeal together. A half tablespoon was plenty for me, but feel free to adjust to your taste.
- Almond Milk. Unsweetened plain or unsweetened vanilla almond milk is my favorite for smoothies.
That said, feel free to use any milk you like. The Oatmeal Smoothie is quite thick as the recipe is written, so if you prefer a thinner texture or your blender is struggling, splash in a little extra.
- Cinnamon + Pure Vanilla Extract. Solidifies the oatmeal cookie flavor factor.
Optional Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe Additions
The beauty of smoothies is their flexibility. Stock up on a few essentials, and you’ll have super healthy breakfast smoothies on demand!
- Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie. Replace half of the banana with frozen strawberries. If you’d like it to be a peanut butter oatmeal smoothie no bananas, you can replace the bananas with strawberries entirely.
- Extra Protein Oatmeal Smoothie. Add a scoop of your favorite vanilla or chocolate protein powder.
- Green Oatmeal Smoothie. Ready to embrace the green? Add a handful or two of spinach. It will change the color, but the taste is imperceptible. If you are looking to slide a green oatmeal smoothie past picky eaters and hiding the green is important, consider adding oatmeal to a darker, berry-colored smoothie like this Blueberry Avocado Banana Smoothie or add a few handfuls of blueberries or raspberries to this recipe.
Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe
Prep time: 5 MINS, Total time: 5 MINS
Creamy Oatmeal Smoothie with peanut butter and banana. With fiber, protein, and healthy fats, this vegan breakfast smoothie is filling and delicious!
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats or quick oats
- 1 banana — chopped into chunks and frozen
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other milk)
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon pure Honey — plus additional to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt — don’t skip this, as it makes the oatmeal pop!
- Ice — optional, add at the end if you want a thicker smoothie
Place the oats in the bottom of a blender and pulse a few times until finely ground. Add the banana, milk, peanut butter, Honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
Blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the blender as needed. Taste and add additional sweetener if you’d like a sweeter smoothie. Enjoy immediately.